Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Musings of Annoyance

I remember all of the unsolicited comments, questions and advice I received during my pregnancies. And most of the time I feel that I handled it pretty well, though at times I was annoyed (of course that happens much easier during pregnancy anyway). I didn't realize that once I became pregnant I would suddenly become part of a club where people would tell me their stories about pregnancy, babies, and the like. And it's not all bad, of course. But it just strikes me as funny how when you are noticably pregnant, complete strangers feel comfortable asking you personal questions.

So it struck me today that I have become one of those people. I am the annoying person asking questions like "Are you hoping for a girl this time?" And I feel compelled to tell stories about my pregnancy and my babies, even if the person hearing the information does not care or is in a hurry to get out of the conversation.

So I think to myself now - perhaps I should not be so quick to judge people as annoying. There is something that bonds people together in that common thread of parenting. And it is comforting to have people understand what you're going through because they've been there before. Even if it you have to endure the same question about 50 times.

No comments: