Monday, January 19, 2009

I'm Going to Feel Really Stupid if...

this turns out to be just another cold, I had told the Urgent Care doctor before he examined me. I had also gone into the Urgent Care clinic on December 1st, complaining of my sore throat and wanting them to test me for strep. Negative. I was thankful, but feeling a bit bitter for spending the money for them to tell me that it just had to run its course. So last week when I woke up in the middle of the night to retrieve Josh's pillow and found that my throat was suddenly sore, I just figured it was another bad cold. The past several days I have been taking OTC medicines around the clock, trying to put out the flames in my throat and keep my headaches at bay. I have been so wiped out that I've stayed in bed for pretty much the past 3 days. Thank God for my parents, who have so willingly stepped in to care for my children (once again) as I have been completely non-functional.

They convinced me to go to the doctor today. I decided it would be better to pay the money and have peace of mind rather than have it be something bad and let it continue to get worse. And as it was 4:30pm before I got up from my most recent nap, I knew it would be too late to go to the regular doc. So I headed to Urgent Care again, feeling a bit sheepish. So when the doc first came in, he looked at my file and said that even though I had been here December 1st and it was negative for strep, I was still right to come in with the symptoms I had. He took one brief glance at my throat and made a serious wincing face - "Oooh, this looks like strep. And if it's not strep, we'll test for mono, because that's the only other thing that it could be." And then he looked up my nose and made another disgusted face and informed me that I have a sinus infection as well, and that I would be leaving here with something (drugs) not matter what. Ha! I didn't come here for nothing! Wait. I didn't come here for nothing. Aw, crap.

The 15 minute speed swab test (which went all too fast thanks to my audio book) came back positive for strep. Doc said I needed to try and keep away from my kids for at least 24 hours after treatment. My heart sank. Had I already exposed them? Luckily I have my house to go to, and the kids are staying with Mamaw & Papaw. I'm praying that they all stay healthy. I brought Jaz home with me to keep me and Tigra company - at least I'm not completely alone. So now I'm to eat bland foods, take my medicines as directed, and of course I'm going to sleep as much as possible (since I am totally exhausted still). I should be feeling better in a couple of days, according to the doc. My main concern now is how I'm going to plan for the baby's birthday party (which is supposed to be Saturday). I guess I'll worry about that once I'm feeling better. Poor kid - he totally gets the short end of the stick. Watch me go out and buy him a cupcake or something (when I've gone to great lengths to make all of J & G's cakes). And I'm not sure he'll be getting any presents from us either. I'm thinking of wrapping something we already have so he'll have something to open. I'm too sick to care right now. That's my excuse anyway.

1 comment:

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

Oh you poor thing! :-( I hope you feel better soon!! Praise the Lord your parents are here!