Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Feeling God's Presence

Meet Melanie:

Melanie is my best friend. We have basically grown up together since our early teen years. We stayed close all through college, were roommates after college, she was a bridesmaid in my wedding, and she attends our family functions as one of our family members. She knows me: good, bad, and ugly. She accepts me and loves unconditionally. She is willing to tell me hard truths and call me out on poor behavior or misplaced attitudes or perceptions.

Melanie was a church-goer her whole life, but truly received Christ's salvation just a few years ago. Since then she has undergone a transformation, and strives each day to bring glory to God and make this world a better place (the latter of which she has always done). Melanie inspires me, prays for me, encourages me, and makes me want to be a better Christian. I miss Melanie fiercely when we are apart. But the Holy Spirit has reminded me more than once that I can rejoice in the knowledge that Melanie and I will spend eternity together, in the presence of our Savior.

Melanie and I were catching up on the phone earlier today, just before we were getting ready to go to our Wednesday night church service. Melanie was telling me about a Bible Study that she is involved in about stewardship. We talked a bit about that right before we hung up. My family and I go to church, and I looked at the sermon notes to find out that the topic is "God's Economy." Coincidence? I think not.

I started thinking about how God has been getting my attention over the last 6 months. Repeated themes, uncanny situations, and even certain Scriptures that I thought I had just randomly read somehow ended up having real-life application soon after I came across them. And tonight, it occurred to me that all of these are instances of feeling God's presence in my life. I know that God is real. I know that God loves me. And I know that he has a plan and a purpose for my life. It is a humbling thing. I have always loved that God has promised to be present when two or more have gathered in His name. But I didn't realize that promise could include a simple phone call between best friends. But it does. It definitely does.

No comments: