Thursday, April 9, 2009

Early Talker

So I got my weekly BabyCenter e-mail and I have decided that Blake is an early talker. BabyCenter says that some early talking babies at this age (14 months) have as many as 20 words in their vocabulary, though it would seem that most have a mere handful. So let's see. Here are the words Blake can say (and understand their meaning):

1. Mommy
2. Daddy
3. Mamaw
4. Papaw
5. George
6. Josh
7. Doggy
8. Kitty
9. Ball
10. Bubble
11. Choo-choo
12. Bye-bye
13. Brush
14. Eat
15. Drink
16. Up
17. Cheese
18. Cracker
19. Thank You
20. No
21. Fish
22. Turtle
23. Bath
24. Bottle
25. Hi
26. Uh-oh
27. Hello
28. Baby
29. Gucky
30. Nummy
31. Go
32. Keys
33. Poo-poo
34. Teeth
35. Night-night
36. Book

Well, that's not the end of the list, but you get the picture. I believe he qualifies. This kid is scary smart. He picks up on things instantly! He also signs several words that he does not yet speak (light, fan, more, all done, please). We haven't been as diligent about signing with him, but it's probably because he's talking so much already. I was hoping he would ease us into some of these phases of babyhood (mobility, speaking, climbing, getting into things, etc.), but he has decided to take the accelerated route instead. Lord have mercy - we are really in for it with this one.

2 comments:

amy f. said...

I can't tell you how impressive that is, Nancy. (I don't know if you knew that I have a speech pathology background). To express that many words at his age AND being child #3 AND a boy...he's doing well :-)

3BoyMommy said...

Wow - I did not know that! He definitely amazes me daily. He is also quite the handful (a climber, strong-willed, picky eater, etc.). But I wouldn't trade him for anything!