Friday, July 25, 2008

To Nap or Not to Nap: That is the Question

I have been blessed with good sleepers. But it seems, as of late, that the daily naptime ritual is not always necessary (at least for the boys). I don't think they are ready to give naps up entirely, but I also don't feel that they need them EVERY day anymore. To my dismay (ignore the sentence fragments).

The last two days, they have not had a nap and have therefore gone to bed at 8:00pm. I forgot how lovely it is to have them in bed by 8:00. What a difference this makes in my life! This used to be our regular bedtime for them. They would sleep 8pm to 8am, and have a nap during the day as well. See? Good sleepers. But alas...those days are gone. Now it is more like 9:30pm to 7:30am (which is still not bad, I know), with a nap. Or 8:00pm to 7:30 or 8:00am, with no daytime nap.

I have really enjoyed having some time these last two evenings. I am tempted to cut out the naps entirely. But I also REALLY need the sanity break during most days, and am therefore tempted to continue to insist on daily naptimes.

Most likely I will go with the flow, and give them naps when I know they really need it (or if I really need it), and let them go without a nap on the days we are busier than normal or have something planned during what would be their normal naptime. That is how we're doing it now, and it seems to be working pretty well. I'm fairly sad that my toddlers are (kind of) outgrowing naps. Next thing you know they'll be introducing me to their girlfriends.

***
Sorry, I just induced a fainting spell. Or a heart attack. I guess I shouldn't get too ahead of myself, eh? I'll just focus on getting them potty trained for now. Then I can worry about pre-school or something more relevant.

No comments: